The main job of a messenger is to deliver products to customers. The messenger is responsible for finding the address and delivering the products to the customer. He must have experience driving different vehicles, such as bicycles, mopeds, or cars (depending on the vehicle he is using). He must ensure that the products reach the customer on time. He is also responsible for collecting the correct payment amount from the customer. The messenger must take care of the vehicle and ensure the safety of the vehicle and the goods carried in it. He must also know the different routes and shortcuts in the city to which he is to deliver the orders.
There are no special courses or schools. Theoretically, anyone could practise this profession. Generally, an age of 18 or older is required.
Messenger requirements and skills
- Familiarity with local streets, neighborhoods and routes
- high level of responsibility and trustworthiness
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Valid driver’s license if using motorcycles or automobiles
- Physically able to lift weights
- Basic arithmetic skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Willingness to work nights, weekends and holidays
- Excellent time management skills
- Friendly and service oriented
Review orders prior to shipment to ensure that the correct products have been loaded
Periodically inspect containers to ensure they are clean enough to present to customers
Load, transport and deliver products to various customers in an appropriate manner. Returning customer orders that may not have been accepted.
Take payment by cash or card, if applicable.
Professionally interact with customers to take orders, answer their questions, and inform them of current and upcoming promotions.
Respect the rules of the road
The salary of a messenger in Europe averages €1,200 to €1,300 per month.
You can start with a minimum salary of €800 per month, while the maximum salary can exceed €1,600 per month. Pharmaceutical delivery drivers are paid the most, while pizza delivery drivers are paid the least.
In the United States, the average salary is about $2,500 per month