Here is a brief description of the profession of painter. Painters can work both indoors and outdoors, on high and low scaffolding, and perform ordinary and extraordinary maintenance work.
There are no special schools, but it takes passion and willpower to learn the craft.
Painter, requirements and skills
- Proven experience as a painter
- Excellent knowledge of colors and their selection, mixing and application
- Good knowledge of painting techniques
- Ability to use proper tools (rollers, brushes, etc.)
- Manual dexterity with good balance to work on scaffolding, ladders, etc
- Conscientiousness with great attention to detail
- good planning and organizational skills
- Physical strength and resilience
Examine the surfaces to determine the type and quantity of products needed and the time required to complete the work.
Prepare a scaffold and prepare walls and other surfaces for painting by scraping off old paint with sandpaper.
Use putty and appropriate materials to fill cracks and holes, and use various tools to paint surfaces according to instructions.
Mix paints and other materials to achieve desired color or texture.
Paint surfaces according to instructions using paints and other coatings.
Take and comply with all health and safety precautions
In Southern Europe, an inexperienced painter can earn around €800 net per month. An experienced painter with 10-20 years of experience earns an average of €1,400 to €1,600. In Northern Europe, these wages can double.
In the United States, a painter earns an average of $3,000 – $3,500 per month.