For many people today, the American dream still has an irresistible appeal. However, unlike in the past when many foreigners came to the United States in search of the American dream, welcoming thousands of immigrants from all over the world, today it is not so easy to move to US and obtain a work permit. Currently, there are more than 45 million immigrants.
The United States of America has an area as large as Europe. The capital is Washington, and the currency is the dollar. The official language is English, although other languages are widely spoken, especially Spanish, which is spoken by almost 15% of the population.
Move to the US, Visas
To enter the United States, it is necessary to obtain a visa, except for stays for tourism not exceeding 90 days, (only citizens of 40 nations are allowed), in which case it will be sufficient to fill out the ESTA form,, at a cost of $ 14.
Remember that a return ticket is required and entry into the country is not guaranteed. You may also be turned back at the border if officials believe you intend to stay in the country for work. During your stay for tourist purposes, you are not allowed to work and theoretically you cannot seek contacts for future work (sponsor).
There are many types of visas, which are divided into two categories:
- non-immigrant visas, which allow temporary entry into the U.S.
- immigrant visas, which allow indefinite entry into the U.S.
let us look at the ones that might interest us:
- Visa F, study purposes
- Visa J, cultural purposes, internships, au pair. Allows you to work in the US. You need a sponsor
- Visa H L O P Q R, temporary work or internships. You need a sponsor
All information about the types of visas to apply for can be found on the website of the American Embassy in your country.
1. To marry an American citizen, you must make an appointment at the U.S. Embassy consulate in your country for an interview and provide proof:
- the fiancé is an American citizen
- the fiancé intends to marry you within 90 days of your entry into the United States
- there are no impediments to the marriage
- the prospective spouses have met at least once in the past 2 years
- after entering the United States, the two must marry within 90 days, and after the wedding, the green card can be applied for
2. Family reunification, family reunification is possible, but there is an annual number of visas, so there is more or less waiting time depending on the degree of relationship. You will need to check with the embassy.
3. The annual Diversity Immigrant Visa Programme lottery awards 55,000 green cards each year. Anyone can enter for free, the only requirements are:
- have a high school diploma
- or two years of work experience in the last five years
The winners receive the famous Green Card, which entitles them to permanent residency. The application process is very simple and free. Beware of agencies that offer you information or paid services in various ways. They are useless if they do not want to take your money out of your pocket. Only turn to the official website of the US government. Also, be careful if you receive an email informing you that you have won the green card and need to pay a certain amount – this is a scam. The only way to know if you have won is to visit the official website.
Move to the US, useful resources
- USCIS website of the Department of Immigration which contains useful information about visas, green cards, and much more
- a useful guide for immigrants
Move to USA, finding accommodation
Once you get the visa, you need to take care of finding a place to live. America is not as big as the Netherlands, so rental costs and housing availability will be completely different between New York and a small town in the state of Texas. Once you have decided on the city you want to move to, you will need to book accommodation for the first time through airbnb or similar sites. I recommend you to use only well-known and reliable sites, as there are many scams on the internet.
Once you are settled, you can start looking for an flat, either through the local real estate agencies or through the websites listed below:
- Craiglist, famous website. It is possible to find all kinds of apartments or rooms. It is the most used site ever. Just beware of scams. Do not pay before see the apartment
- Hotpads, popular real estate website
- Zillow, very popular website
- Apartments, another popular website with listing from all over the country
- Trulia, another real estate website
- Iroommates, shared housing
- Roomster, shared accommodations
To rent an apartment, you must pay the current monthly amount and prove that you have a job; sometimes it can be useful to provide a letter from your employer. References are also often required. If you do not have any and the landlord is hesitant, you can offer to pay 3 months in advance. Also remember that apartments are often not furnished.
So once you arrive, you will not be able to rent an apartment, so you may opt for shared housing, which is less expensive and does not require references. In any case, you should know that in cities like New York, San Francisco, etc., a room in shared housing can easily cost $1000 per month. The price also varies depending on the area or neighborhood.
Move to US, conclusion
Once you have obtained a visa, you can apply for a residence permit and a Social Security Number (SSN). The SSN is a nine-digit number issued by the U.S. government to all U.S. citizens and eligible residents upon application. It is not issued to holders of tourist visas. The SSN is used, for example, to sign an employment contract or open a checking account.
Remember that there is no public health care system in America, except for some assistance programs for the elderly and poor. It is therefore necessary to have health insurance. If you get your visa through an agency, the agency will also take care of the insurance.